Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Back to the Old Days

I think it's time to try to reflect back to the old days of when I posted on Xanga (somewhere back in the beginning of the year), where I made long and mostly meaningless posts on whatever came to mind.... you know, the ones that Otis would actually read for no apparent reason other than to get a kick out of my... "unique writing skills."

So first off, I've become addicted with xkcd again that, in hindsight, I think it's kind of sad. So my new resolution is to actually find a funny xkcd comic to go along with every post... there's no reason behind it really, except that xkcd probably reflects what I would really do in life at random.

... so, for today's post, I found this particular panel here, because I know that sometimes the giant bass sound coming from a car annoys the crap out of you too... and you just want to do something to annoy them.

That's besides the point. I was working on the AP US Government packet for LaShomb (I'm still not certain I'm supposed to be making that s "upper-case" (still can't get used to using that word... meh), when I thought about the question my brother asked me in our weekly "Hey what's the family up that was have no idea about?" conversation. He asked me that since my graduation was coming up what I was thinking of wanting for a graduation gift. Naturally, being the humble person I am, I gave him my best response: "That's a good question, I'll get back to you on that."

So finally, after weeks of deliberation, I've thought of perhaps a few things that I would perhaps benefit me the most, no matter where I go.

The List
1. Laptop - Despite the fact that my current laptop is suiting my needs to an extent (thanks bro! The laptop so far has been a life-saver), the fact of the matter is that this laptop is about 3 years too old to suit my current lifestyle needs, which include mindless hours on Photoshop, Soundforge, and a multitude of other programs that my laptop is just not suited to actually run.
2. A camera - No, not one of those Cybershots or the tiny things the size of about my fingernail... an honest to goodness professional camera. I've realized that one of the things I want to be able to do is to be able to take professional photos, and using a Cybershot doesn't quite accomplish that purpose (though with the number of pictures I get to take, I'm not complaining too much yet).
3.An iPhone - I thought about just putting "cell phone" at first, since you all know the state of my phone I might as well have sent it to Iraq and throw it at the road-side bombs. As much as I love it (I recall telling my dad that it has tremendous sentimental value that I wouldn't give up), the fact is that I need a new phone. I was contemplating on thinking about another Sony Ericsson, but after looking (and playing around with) my friend's iPhone for about all of half an hour, I've decided that an iPhone would be killer too.

Tripping on the Past
While figuring my wish-list, I also thought about all the past gifts that I've gotten, and I finally thought about what the top gifts were... I don't know why, but remembering those these were perhaps some of the funniest and memorable moments in my life.

Number 6 - Legally Bound (from... Key Club pretty much)
Well, that surprise party was the coolest thing ever. There's not much else to be said, other than that the poster proudly doesn't fit anywhere in my room... so I've proudly put it next to the wall most visible, and every time somebody asks me "what's the rolled up thing?" I bring it out and show them. ^^-b

Number 5 - The Trifecta (from Felix)
During the "Family Gathering" in Taiwan, Emily organized "Secret Santa" for the kids in the area, and I got this awesome gift from her cousin Felix... well 3 in fact. The nerf gun was the coolest thing in the world, and afterwards we were all shooting around with it... for kicks. The... porcupine(?) is still sitting in my room, looking onwards.

Number 4 - Breakfast Goods (from Isabella and Jon)
Man, this was from a long time ago. I remember for my like... 9th birthday or so... that I got boxes of cereal from Jon and Isabella. I remember being that naive guy and was like... seriously? I got cereal? I didn't really mind back then, since I was a big fan of cereal anyway... ok, so I got cooler gifts too, but still, the cereal was a nice little ploy.

Number 3 - Socks (from Jon and Howard... and family I believe)
I'm pretty sure this was back in like... 5th grade. It was the first or second year that my family was in Las Vegas and everybody wanted to visit (for the obvious reasons of course... ahaha). Now see, my family knew that my brother and I always wore socks, but ever since he went to college he stopped, and it became just me that wore socks every day. That Christmas I remember getting these cool gifts (that a 5th grader would like anyway) and like a bazillion pairs of socks.

Number 2 - Useless Reading (from Lisa)
I think Lisa knows me too well (well her and Jane anyway, since she told me she helped her pick it out), because when I got that gift from her I couldn't stop laughing about it. The two books, "The Ultimate Book of Useless Information" (but I've learned so much from it) and "101 Things Not to Do Before You Die" (lots of actually ironically useful ideas), are some of the funniest things I've every had time to waste to read on... It makes me feel bad that all I could get her was that Wong Lee Hom CD. Her card was awesome too.

Number 1 - The Bear (from Hana / Hannah / Hanna (=P))
Kind of cliche, but hey, it was the first teddy bear I ever got from somebody outside my family (my mom used to work at Dayton's in Rochester, and every year I got their seasonal teddy bear... they were cool). Back in like 8th grade too. It still sits next to my computer, just kind of chillin'.

... there were more, but I'm trying to end it so I can get back to doing homework... my god, there's so much more of it now. Before I go though, I leave with another xkcd comic here... well just because really.

No comments: