Monday, April 28, 2008

When Life Threw a Curveball Seen From a Mile Away

When I actually think about it, I'm pretty sure that I saw this one coming from a mile away.

Ever since that day I asked, the day I decided that "Yeah, looks like prom's a no-go this year too," I knew it was coming. Ironically enough, I knew the answer that she would tell him too, because that's what happens when you factor in the chaos theory after all. And even though she told me what her answer would be if he asked, I knew that it was a lie.

... but I still accepted that blatant lie, because it was her. I still accepted that answer, because I wanted to believe that it would be true. I still accepted that answer, because I wanted it to be true.

Then again, if I wanted for it to be true so badly, why did I prepare myself for the pain that I feel right now? Why do I feel this pain right now, regardless?

... no matter what question I can ask about it, it all leads to the same answer.

-----
She smiled, even as her expression turned into hopelessness. He wanted to reach out and hold her to him, but she only stepped backwards again, away from him. “You love me.” It was a simple statement, a fact that he couldn’t hide from her, and even then surprise hit him with her words. “I realized that,” her smiled turned bitter, “but I can’t give it back. I can’t give you what you want."

“It doesn't matter,” he countered, his voice growing desperate, and he worked hard to reel it in, to keep control. “All I ask for is a chance.” The desperation in his voice, the confused look she gave him; this is what all his patience and hurt that had built up through time was going to boil down to. Silence took over.

And in enduring the long silence, she finally spoke, "I don't know anymore." She spoke with uncertainty, her voice wavering through the silence. "I don't know if I can give you that chance anymore."

Even now, whether or not she was willing to try still echoes through the silence.
-----

... the question remains: Will I try for that second chance... ever?

No comments: